The Best History Teachers Never Stop Learning Reflections on Teaching, Scholarship, and the Educator's Toolbox David Buie, #OPEN_TO_WORK David Buie

 

The Best History Teachers Never Stop Learning Reflections on Teaching, Scholarship, and the Educator's Toolbox

David Buie, #OPEN_TO_WORK
College History Professor | Historian of Reconstruction, Memory & American Conflict | Dual Credit & Higher Education Instructor | Writer | Curriculum developer

When people discover that I teach history, they often ask what period I enjoy teaching most. Sometimes they ask if I prefer the Civil War, Reconstruction, Texas history, or the World Wars. Now and then someone will ask about my favorite historical figure. Those are all fair questions, but they aren't the questions that occupy most of my time.

The question I think about most is much simpler.

How do we become better teachers?

That question has followed me throughout my career. It followed me as a graduate student, as a first-year adjunct instructor trying to find my footing, and even now after years of teaching thousands of students. If there is one lesson I have learned, it is this:

The best educators never stop being students.

That statement may sound obvious, but it carries profound implications. Too often we think of education as something that ends with a diploma or a degree. We celebrate graduation as though it were the finish line. In reality, it is only the starting point.

When I began teaching, I believed my responsibility was to know history. I spent hours refining lectures, reading monographs, reviewing primary sources, and making sure I understood the material. Subject knowledge is essential. Students deserve instructors who know their discipline.

But knowing history and teaching history are not the same thing.

Some of the most brilliant historians I have known struggled in the classroom because they assumed expertise alone would inspire students. Conversely, I have met educators who possessed an extraordinary ability to make history come alive because they understood that teaching is about building bridges between the past and the present.

Students rarely remember every date from a lecture. They may forget the exact year of the Missouri Compromise or the provisions of the Compromise of 1850. What they remember is how a teacher made them think. They remember the stories. They remember the questions that challenged their assumptions. They remember the excitement of discovering that history is not merely a collection of facts but an ongoing conversation.

That realization changed the way I approached my own classroom.

Instead of asking, "How much content can I cover today?" I began asking, "What do I want students to remember five years from now?"

Those are two very different questions.

Coverage has always been one of education's greatest temptations. Every instructor knows the feeling of looking at the syllabus and realizing there is simply too much to teach. We race from one chapter to the next, worried about falling behind, often forgetting that students cannot learn everything we know.

The goal is not to tell students everything.

The goal is to teach them how historians think.

That means helping students analyze evidence rather than memorize conclusions. It means encouraging curiosity rather than rewarding simple recall. It means introducing primary sources not as dusty relics but as conversations across time. When students learn to evaluate evidence, identify bias, recognize context, and compare competing interpretations, they acquire skills that extend far beyond a history classroom.

Those skills matter because history is everywhere.

Every day our students encounter claims about the past on television, social media, podcasts, documentaries, and political speeches. They deserve more than a list of dates. They deserve the intellectual tools necessary to evaluate those claims for themselves.

That is why I have become convinced that every educator needs a toolbox.

Notice I did not say a script.

Scripts imply there is only one right way to teach. Toolboxes recognize that every classroom is different. Every group of students is different. Every semester presents new opportunities and new challenges.

Some days a carefully prepared lecture is exactly what students need. On other days, a primary-source workshop generates far more engagement. Sometimes a map, political cartoon, diary, newspaper article, or even a well-chosen photograph communicates more than thirty minutes of explanation.

Great teachers understand that no single method works every time.

The larger your toolbox becomes, the more effective you become.

That toolbox should never stop expanding.

Throughout my career, I have borrowed ideas from outstanding teachers, conference presentations, museum exhibits, historical documentaries, educational journals, and conversations with colleagues. Some ideas worked beautifully. Others failed spectacularly. Both experiences made me a better educator.

Failure, uncomfortable as it may be, is often one of our greatest teachers.

Every instructor has experienced lessons that simply did not work. Perhaps students looked confused despite our best explanation. Perhaps an activity we thought would spark discussion produced only silence. Perhaps technology failed at exactly the wrong moment.

Those experiences can be discouraging, but they also present opportunities for reflection.

Instead of asking, "Why didn't my students understand?" we should ask, "How can I explain this differently?"

That small shift in perspective changes everything.

Teaching becomes an ongoing process of experimentation rather than a performance that must always be flawless.

One of the most exciting developments during my career has been the rapid expansion of educational technology. When I first entered the classroom, PowerPoint presentations represented a significant innovation. Today, instructors have access to digitized archives, interactive maps, online museum collections, virtual reality experiences, artificial intelligence, and more historical documents than previous generations could have imagined.

Some educators embrace every new technology. Others reject nearly all of them.

I believe both extremes miss the point.

Technology is neither the hero nor the villain.

It is a tool.

Like every other tool in an educator's toolbox, its value depends entirely upon how thoughtfully it is used.

Artificial intelligence provides an excellent example. Used carelessly, it can encourage shortcuts and undermine learning. Used responsibly, it can help educators generate discussion questions, create differentiated learning materials, brainstorm lesson ideas, analyze curriculum, and spend less time on routine tasks so they can spend more time interacting with students.

The technology itself is not the answer.

The teacher remains the answer.

Students still need mentors who can guide discussion, model critical thinking, encourage curiosity, and demonstrate intellectual honesty.

No algorithm can replace that.

As historians, we understand that every generation inherits new tools. The printing press transformed learning. So did public libraries, photography, film, radio, television, and the internet. Artificial intelligence represents another chapter in that long history.

Our responsibility is not to fear change.

Our responsibility is to evaluate it thoughtfully.

The same principle applies to scholarship.

One of the greatest dangers facing educators is intellectual stagnation. It is easy to teach the same lecture semester after semester, making only minor adjustments. There is comfort in familiarity.

There is also danger.

History is constantly evolving. New evidence emerges. New interpretations challenge old assumptions. Historians ask different questions than they asked twenty or even ten years ago.

If our scholarship remains frozen in time, eventually our teaching will as well.

That is why I continue reading new books, attending conferences, exploring archives, writing, and engaging in public history. Scholarship does more than increase our knowledge. It renews our enthusiasm.

Students notice enthusiasm.

Enthusiasm is contagious.

When they see an instructor genuinely excited about discovering something new, they become more willing to participate in that journey themselves.

Perhaps the greatest lesson I have learned is that teaching is an act of humility.

No matter how many courses we teach, there will always be another question we cannot immediately answer. There will always be another book to read, another perspective to consider, another lesson to improve.

That is not a weakness.

It is one of the greatest strengths an educator can possess.

Students benefit when they see that learning never ends.

As educators, we often tell students to remain curious, ask questions, and challenge assumptions. We should model those same habits ourselves.

The classroom should not be the place where learning ends for the teacher.

It should be the place where learning continues for everyone.

After years in education, I have become convinced that the best teachers share one defining characteristic.

They never believe they have arrived.

Instead, they continue reading.

They continue listening.

They continue experimenting.

They continue reflecting.

They continue learning.

History teaches us that societies flourish when they value knowledge, curiosity, and thoughtful inquiry. The same is true for educators. The day we stop learning is the day we stop growing.

So whether you are preparing for your first semester as an adjunct or your thirtieth year in the classroom, my encouragement is the same.

Protect your curiosity.

Expand your toolbox.

Learn from your students as readily as you teach them.

Remain open to new ideas while holding fast to the principles of evidence, honesty, and intellectual rigor.

Most importantly, remember that becoming an excellent educator is not a destination.

It is a lifelong journey.

And that journey is one of the greatest privileges our profession has to offer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Murder, Modernity, and Myth: H. H. Holmes and the Dark Memory of the 1893 World’s Columbian Exposition

From Darwin to the Genome: Eugenics, Social Darwinism, and the Politics of Scientific Authority in American Historiography

Teaching History in the College Classroom: Evidence, Inquiry, and Artificial Intelligence